Lost my motor last week

Go down

Lost my motor last week

Post by ProfNichols on Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:26 am

Well guys, it finally happened. After 4 years of building race engines, I finally had one go south on me last week during practice, though the results could have been much worse. About three quarters of the way through the first round of practice, I was heading into turn 3 and despite my foot being flat on the floor, the motor started to slow like it had just run out of fuel. A quick glance over at my gauges showed that the red warning light was on and the oil pressure was at zero, zip, nada, thanks for playing. I steered through the corner, still moving at a good clip and then reached over and switched the car off, pushed in the clutch and rolled into the infield portion of the track.

Tore the motor down a few days ago and it turns out that the oill pickup tube coming from the oil pump had vibrated off of the mounting arm and had eventually sheared off of the pump housing, instantly removing any ability to suck oil into the motor. I guess the inherent vibrations in these 2.3L fords cause stuff like that to happen, so I'm rethinking how to brace that pickup to make it a bit stronger and resistant to the vibrations.

The crank got scored on the rod journals and all the rod bearings were blackened and much of them was sitting in flaky mess in the oil pan. The rods took a bit of heat and were a bit blue. I just brought the crank and rods over to a local automotive machine shop and they think they can save them, which would be good since I had put a lot of money into the crank over the years (balanced, weight removed, etc.). I'll let you all know how it goes once I get it back together.

Before the motor blew I was third fastest in practice of about 21 cars...heheheh..it would have been a fun night to race.
ProfNichols

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lost my motor last week

Post by 93cobra670 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:15 pm

sorry to hear that happened

did u find a lot of metal shaving in the oil pan? how did the pistons hold up?
93cobra670

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bluehtchbckdrv on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:19 am

Aww man...thats pretty bad.
Was the shop able to save 'em?
bluehtchbckdrv
Admin

View user profile http://ecampus.bentley.edu/studentorgs/bmo

Back to top Go down

Motor's running again

Post by ProfNichols on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:15 pm

Went to a local machine shop and they were able to save the crank and resize the rods. I guess I shut it down fast enough that only the rod bearings galled the crank. The mains were okay, but the shop decided to turn everything down .010". So, I spent the 4th of July weekend starting to piece my motor back together. There was so much bearing material in the pan, it blocked the oil from coming out when I tried to drain it during disassembly...ooh, flaky shiny pieces.

Pistons were okay, just covered with carbon, meaning I'm still running too rich. Cylinder walls were scored, but nothing I could do about it. Ran a bottle brush hone down the barrels to make them more uniform and used the same set of rings. Then, I painted the entire motor black to help it get rid of the heat.

Motor was fired up late last week it sounds pretty strong. I can definitely tell you that the oil pressure is good and solid at 60+ psi at idle (cold). Going to race tomorrow night and see how good the motor pulls with everything being basically new. I hope to do really well, as the car is usually pretty solid. I'll let you all know how things turn out, but I'm itching to turn some laps, for sure.
ProfNichols

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 93cobra670 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:03 am

great to hear you have it up and running!
93cobra670

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ProfNichols on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:31 pm

It's running strong and oil pressure is super and doesn't fade that much under hot race conditions...we're back!
ProfNichols

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bluehtchbckdrv on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:04 pm

Sounds like your motor is doing well now.
How have your races been doing?
bluehtchbckdrv
Admin

View user profile http://ecampus.bentley.edu/studentorgs/bmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down