Bentley Motoring Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's all about the tune

4 posters

Go down

It's all about the tune Empty It's all about the tune

Post by 93cobra670 Tue May 13, 2008 6:37 pm

Tuning your car is a must. You can unlock lots of power, make your car run cleaner and smoother, and increase driveability. I'm curious, what do you all have/use for tuning your cars and why?

-mail order chip
-hand held tuner
-dyno tune
-engine management systems
-something else?

Right now I have a custom dyno tune, but am debating a programmable engine management system that i can tune myself. This way I can have separate presets for water/methanol injection, daily driving, and track conditions.
93cobra670
93cobra670

Back to top Go down

It's all about the tune Empty Re: It's all about the tune

Post by Ricer Thu May 15, 2008 12:55 pm

I have an Apexi Neo... essentially just allows you to play with A/F ratio through the gears... I still went to the dyno and had it tuned. Its really all I need with I/E/H.

I know someone with a tiburon who is running a HYDRA, which replaces the whole ECU and lets him play with everything in the car. However he is also sitting on a built block with a MP90 blower, ice box and meth injection.

Ricer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ricer Thu May 15, 2008 12:56 pm

By the way chris, how are you doing MPG wise and how much does it cost you a week now to drive?

Ricer

Back to top Go down

Post by 93cobra670 Fri May 16, 2008 1:23 am

Ricer wrote:By the way chris, how are you doing MPG wise and how much does it cost you a week now to drive?

The cobra is pretty much serving as a weekend car. Otherwise it's garaged.

gallon of gas = $4.30
gallons per visit to the gas station = 7 (I don't let it get under half a tank)
visits to the gas stations a week = 1 or 2
money spent on gas in a given week = $30-$60

I usually drive like a normal person and get about 15-20mpg city, but when I'm on it tho, I get about 8mpg lol (and the boost is going up next week, so more air = more fuel haha). Good thing is I have the t-bird as a daily driver and I fill that up like once every 2 weeks. Not too bad at all
93cobra670
93cobra670

Back to top Go down

Post by bluehtchbckdrv Tue May 20, 2008 11:54 am

93cobra670 wrote:
Ricer wrote:By the way chris, how are you doing MPG wise and how much does it cost you a week now to drive?

The cobra is pretty much serving as a weekend car. Otherwise it's garaged.

gallon of gas = $4.30
gallons per visit to the gas station = 7 (I don't let it get under half a tank)
visits to the gas stations a week = 1 or 2
money spent on gas in a given week = $30-$60

I usually drive like a normal person and get about 15-20mpg city, but when I'm on it tho, I get about 8mpg lol (and the boost is going up next week, so more air = more fuel haha). Good thing is I have the t-bird as a daily driver and I fill that up like once every 2 weeks. Not too bad at all

Cost of Fuel sucks.....we are around $4.50 in some places in Chicago and going up. If you get on the Cobra, i swear to god you get about 3mpg Shocked

As for Chips.....I am going to get one........but idk when No
I am waiting for this tuner to release a NA upgrade package, and they will require me to send my ECU out to them (In Canada). My other option is GIAC USA, who is a very respected tuner.......but no complete package, so less power......sigh.......waiting sucks

And i refuse to believe that you drive like a normal person chris.... Suspect
bluehtchbckdrv
bluehtchbckdrv
Admin

http://ecampus.bentley.edu/studentorgs/bmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ricer Fri May 23, 2008 11:59 am

Damn.. gas is that expensive out by you Ian... here it is 3.75 still...

Ricer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmoothOperator Fri May 23, 2008 2:56 pm

93cobra670 wrote:Tuning your car is a must. You can unlock lots of power, make your car run cleaner and smoother, and increase driveability. I'm curious, what do you all have/use for tuning your cars and why?

-mail order chip
-hand held tuner
-dyno tune
-engine management systems
-something else?

Right now I have a custom dyno tune, but am debating a programmable engine management system that i can tune myself. This way I can have separate presets for water/methanol injection, daily driving, and track conditions.

Without a doubt tuning is the most important thing you can do to your car. Even a stock car can gain significant power from having it tuned as most cars are undertuned from the factory for a myriad of reasons, emissions being one of the main reasons. I'm a little unfamiliar of how a mail order chip works, I would assume that you would want a tune customized to your mods and your car. The way i do it is I have my own tactrix cable which allows me to do my own logging through software i have on my laptop (evoscan). I also have a program to re-write the stock ecu (ecuflash). So i do my own logging and send it to a tuner who based on my logs adjusts my ecu map accordingly, he sends it back i load it up and repeat the process until we are both satisfied with the results. I feel dyno tunes are a bit overpriced for the simulated conditions that often do not reflect real driving. I paid for a road tune for my first tune and was very very pleased with the results...it is dangerous and I do not support wreckless driving but you can road tune my evo on 3rd gear and you usually redline at about 80-85mph so its not super excessive speeds. My .02 cents.

Stand alone engine management systems...can do so much with them...but so costly...me want...

SmoothOperator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum